Friday, August 1, 2008

Step Brothers

This Is How We Do It

I have to admit that the kid in me was kind’ve excited to see this movie. There was one scene in the trailer that made me laugh every time. John C. Reilly sings “This is How We Do It” and then crushes Will Ferrell in a bunk bed. How can that not make you laugh!

Before you knock the idea of how stupid it is to see adults act like kids, let’s take a look how that idea has worked over the years.

Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson may play an adult, but in reality, (or in cartoon world) he is a big, dumb, stupid, and, at times, likable kid. His escapades have made audiences laugh for the last 20 years (although I can only watch seasons 1-10.)

One of my favorite Homer quotes: “Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel.”

Peter Griffin

Peter is also a big, dumb, stupid kid in an animated adult’s body. He crosses the line for two reasons: he doesn’t know any better, and he’s an idiot. He shines in the episode “Mother Tucker” where Tom Tucker becomes his surrogate father, and Peter reverts back to behaving like a little kid.

One of my favorite Peter quotes: “Kids, promise me you won’t go swimming without a lifeguard. It’s my duty as a parent to make sure you’re safe…..hehehehehe….doody…..hehehehe….diarrhea. Hey, Lois….diarrhea.”

Billy Madison

Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really. This movie is awesome. O’Doyle Rules!


Dumb and Dumber

One of the best comedies of all time. If you disagree, I’ll have SeaBass kick your ass.

Big

I don’t get it. I don’t get it. If you don’t like Josh Baskin, something’s wrong with you.


Elf

Will Ferrell acting like a kid? That sounds familiar. Good, underrated movie.


A Night at The Roxbury

Wait, Will Ferrell again? Seems like a theme. A pretty stupid movie, but I bet you laughed at least a few times.

Step Brothers

Now we come to Step Brothers. Reilly and Ferrell follow the same procedures as above. They are childish, stupid, belligerent, and annoying. Not all the gags work, but at least some of them will make you laugh out loud. Their facial expressions alone cracked me up.

The rest of the cast is mediocre and the storyline is very basic. Reilly and Ferrell are both washed up 30-somethings who still live at home with their single parents. When their parents fall in love and get married, Reilly and Ferrell become step brothers and have to learn to live together in harmony and maybe, at some point, grow up.

One of the flaws of the movie, besides the paper thin plot, was the side characters. Too many characters are “over-the-top” which makes some of the comedy muddled. It would’ve been nice if Ferrell and Reilly did their bits, but the rest of the cast played more of a “straight” role. (They try with the Mom and Dad, but it’s very inconsistent. Plus every side character has a bizarre quirk that’s a little too weird.) As you read from the examples above, most of the funny characters are surrounded by normal people which allows the “big kid” to shine (i.e. Marge to Homer, Veronica to Billy Madison, Mary Swanson to Lloyd and Harry, etc.)

But overall, I actually liked the movie. It’s important to see it in the right frame of mind (no, I’m not talking about drugs although…) If you go in without taking any of it too seriously, you’re going to laugh through a good chunk of the movie.

So if you like the above tv shows/movies, Step Brothers will be entertaining for you. It’s not a classic like Billy Madison, Dumb and Dumber or Big, but Step Brothers has enough childish antics to put a smile on your face (and possibly make you regress into a little kid.)

3 comments:

holly g. said...

I thought step brothers was hilarious. "bitches and hoes" haha, will ferrell has always had a special place in my heart.

except when he did semi pro. i had no interest in seeing that.

Christine said...

I haven't seen Step Brothers yet, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Will Ferrell...even though he plays the same character in every movie...

Justin k. Nelson said...

I enjoyed "Step Brothers" although, as mentioned in the review, it has it's shortcomings. I enjoyed the comparison to other 'similarly minded' characters in film and TV. I too did not enjoy "Semi-Pro", everyone is bound to have a flop now and again.